Never shared before….
The Delheim Cape Malay Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1 kg deboned chicken breast, cubed
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ kg green beans, chopped
- ½ kg carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Cape Malay curry powder
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chutney
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt & black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan.
2. Add the oil, onions, garlic, cinnamon stick, curry powder, cloves, cardamom pods, bay leaves, star anise and cumin and continuously stir for 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and chutney, add 3 cups of chicken stock and allow to simmer.
4. Add potatoes, green beans and carrots and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Coat the chicken breast cubes in some flour and fry in a frying pan until browned.
6. Add the chicken cubes to the pot and stir to coat well.
7. Season to taste.
8. Serve with yellow rice and a variety of sambals and atjars. You can also add a Roti!